St. Francis Hospital was taken over by the Mission sisters in 1952 and managed by the Society of St. Francis Hospital. With its humble beginning as a small maternity home, the hospital has its chequered career. Today it has grown to be an important 250 beded multi specialty health center .
Besides Maternity, Medicine, Surgery, Paediatric, Orthopaedic, ENT, Ophthalmology and Dental departments , we have an ICU, NICU, Neurology, and Urology departments.
This Society also runs a 25 beded hospice “ASHANIKETAN” for persons living with HIV/AIDS and located about 20 kms. away from the hospital and which is run on a total freeship basis; currently we have 15 to 20 residential and some OPD patients.
We have a few medical outreach programmes into the slums or other backward areas; besides, we participate in TB control (DOTS) and other government run medical programmes.
Every week, our physician …a sister-doctor, Dr.Malti, visits one out of the 5 villages under our sisters care to attend to the medical needs of the patients around and keeps track of them. She also visits the Mother Teresa’s home for the destitute in Ajmer to cater to the medical needs of about 60 inmates.
This Society has also adopted the village of Somalpur for preventive and curative care, besides attending to school health programmes.
The sisters also run a nursing school (now upgraded to nursing college,) currently in its 51st year. The Nursing college conducts both Diploma and the Degree courses in Nursing. It is situated at Daurai which is closeby.
A few snapshots of life at the hospital